Incredible satellite images reveal what the USA looks like from the skies, and how its transport and communication infrastructures work to power the nation on a daily basis. (Pizza delivery included) :-)
1. These lines show the unpublicised transportation of dead bodies, some clearly being repatriated to their home states from America’s retirement mecca state of Florida.
2. GPS trails reveal the routes taken by cycling pizza delivery riders on one Friday night in Manhattan. Each rider’s shift lasts eight to nine hours, in which time they can deliver between 30 and 40 pizzas all over the city.
3. America exports beef on a vast scale to the rest of the world, but at the same time imports $86 billion worth of food. This image shows the coming in and going out of food of the nation.
4. With a population of over 312 million people and covering 3.79 million square miles, America is the world’s third largest country.
5. Flight data for the 50,000 planes that carry 2 million passengers daily across the USA, shows how airways connect every corner of the country. In this image the major airport hubs are clearly visible.
6. New York’s multi-layered morning rush hour detailed by the combined pathways ferries (orange dots), commuter rail services, (green purple and red) and the bus services (blue) that criss-cross the city picking out its famous grid pattern.
7. Truck movements supplying Domino’s Pizza network, which shows how pizza customers in Manhattan are fed ingredients supplied via a supply hub in Connecticut. That hub is in turn supplied Pizza dough, peppers, mushrooms and tomatoes by fleets of satellite tracked, refrigerated trucks.
8. The American electricity grid: with its cities connected through a vast network.
9. Unemployment: The number of job losses in the USA. chronicled in this image.
10. The array of communication towers across America that enable almost anyone to communicate or connect to the internet, wirelessly.